+91
Planned

Note grouping

Alex Jenter 14 years ago updated 12 years ago 9
Add ability to group notes in the list by various criteria, like in Outlook
notes-list organizing complexity:medium
+2
=> visual grouping the note list by tags (very handy to get an overview over long lists)

Today I noticed how important this feature would be. The tagging and filtering is very useful to find specific notes or reduce the list of notes. But what can you do to get a fast overview?

Lets say you have a long list of tasks and need to get an overview because you have to rework the priorities, status whatsoever? Those tasks all belong to sub-topics marked by a corresponding tag -  but you can't sort by those tags. My next thought was: even better than sorting by tags would be a grouping. So here we go...

Instead of having a long confusing list we could have something like:
tag1 - important tasks
 - note a
 - note b
 - note f
tag2 - tasks belonging to sub topic X
 - note b
 - note c
 - note d
tag3 - tasks belonging to sub topic Y
 - note e
 - note f

What do you think? 
I think that note grouping can be really useful, but I'm not sure about grouping by tags. Tags are non-linear, that means that one note can appear in this list more than once. Is that what you intended?
Let's put it this way: I was aware of this side effect and even think that it is necessary.
On the other side "gouping by tags" is the best idea I (!) had for my problem - maybe others have even better suggestions.

My problem is that I get a long list of tasks and those tasks belong to sub topics BUT the list is a 'mess' regardless whether I sort them by date or title. 
In this request we talked about using the groups generated by a 'tag relations explorer' also for grouping the notes.
In addition to my comment to group also by tag names let me give you an example how this is done in Outlook:

and yes, Outlook is also showing the tasks more than once if they are assigned to more than one tag (in the pic called "Kategorien" which means "categories").
Chris, the link to "this request" is broken. It should read http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/116796-tag-relations-explorer/ .
thanks - fixed
I guess , it is matter of sorting...

I agree with ChrisCN that, we should group(sort) by tags if we like, 

and  not agree with dear Alex that, a new concept is needed for grouping.

• There should be natural way of reading, when we press the parent "Health" tag, it looks like this:

███████ Health (parent tag)█████████████████████ 

note5

████████████ diet (descendant tag)█████████████████████

note1

note2

note3

note20

note30

████████████  stomach (descendant tag) ██████████████████

note1

note2

note10

• but now when I press "Health" it looks like this mixed:

"diet"-Note

"stomach"-Note 

"Health"-Note

"Health"-Note

"stomach"-Note 

"stomach"-Note

"diet"-Note 

+1
Thanks - This describes very well what I am hoping for.
thank you Chris too, you clarify my similar suggestion, which I tried to bring to Alex in here.

if you don't mind, I simplify this idea as naming sorting by tags, it means, notes will be sorted as we see in Tag sidebar.