CintaNotes for Workgroups
Thomas Lohrum 10 years ago • updated by Christof Deininger 7 years ago • 10
CintaNotes is a perfect desktop client for a single user taking notes. This limitation is a pity. I suggest to introduce support for workgroups. Add the ability to share and manage notes amongst a number of users in a (small) team.
Closed due to inability to collect 10 votes for more than 2 years.
Customer support service by UserEcho
Using Microsoft SQLServer (Express Edition) shall not be a replacement for SQLite. It is meant as a second database backend to support workgroups. The features supported, such as a fulltext-search-engine, should make it possible to use it in general. Client installation requirements are kept to a minimum, because it will be necessary to install the SQLNative-Client library only.
In order to support conflict management introduce a record-revision to the notes table. This is an integer, that gets incremented on each consecutive sql-update. Before updating a note, check that the original record-revision is still the same to the current value in the database. If it's not, a conflicted is detected. In this case offer a dialog with three options: a.) Discard my changes b.) Save my changes as a new note c.) Cancel. Of course a dialog to solve/edit the conflicts could be another solution, but i consider the effort for such an implementation as disproportionate.
In case of a delete-conflict, discard the request to delete the note.
thank you for your vote, even though it was a negative. Can you please elaborate, why you voted against the feature? I am interested in your opinion.
1) You were too specific mentioning SQL Server.
2) This idea just isn't popular in the current CN user base :(
3) Some kind of collaborative work is already possible via placing a CN db onto a network share - and this is much easier than having to configure SQL Server.
Quote: 1) You were too specific mentioning SQL Server.
I am aware of this, still i think it is the best choice. I edited my post though and changed SQLServer as a suggestion into a comment on its own.
Quote: 2) This idea just isn't popular in the current CN user base :(
My suggestion is different, in that i am not asking for replication support, but a local database, that can be shared amongst a team. I have also noticed that there are 10 votes up versus 21 votes down. So there are people out there interested in such a feature. Another problem with the suggestion is the fact, that it is especially interesting to people not using CN, because of the limitation to one user. In contrary it is most likely that only CN users will have a look to the roadmap here.
Quote: 3) Some kind of collaborative work is already possible via placing a CN db onto a network share
As far as i know there are possible issues with data-corruption since SQLite is not meant to used in such an environment.
2) This actually indicates a need for a different product. Maybe such requests deserve a tab of their own - like "CintaNotes-based products", which would include this request and also things like "CintaNotes for Mac", for Android etc.
3) I agree, the network share approach is not very reliable. But with hourly backups and low traffic it could actually be workable for very small groups. Also it is workable right now with Simplenote sync.
As Microsoft SQLServer is widely used in companies and is free for use in its Express Edition i suggest to use it as the database backend.